Undergraduate direct and conditional admission requirements
Strong English language skills are important to academic success at CSU. To support student success, we require all students whose first language is not English to demonstrate a high level of English proficiency regardless of their citizenship. Applicants from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom whose first language is English are exempt from this requirement.
TOEFL, PTE Academic or IELTS Academic results are the preferred indicators of English proficiency. For applicants seeking direct admission, the requirements are as follows:
Conditional admission is offered to students who are academically competitive but have not achieved the necessary score for direct admission or have not submitted a TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS score. If you do not meet the English proficiency requirements listed above, you will be enrolled in the INTO CSU Academic English Program (AEP). Until the Academic English Program is completed or the required TOEFL, PTE Academic or IELTS score is achieved, enrollment in regular University academic courses is at the discretion of the AEP.
Graduate Requirements, see: Graduate English Proficiency Requirements (see “TOEFL/IELTS SCORES”)
English testing resources
TOEFL scores must be submitted directly from the testing agency. Pearson and IELTS official score printouts should be sent to the Admissions office: 1062 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062 or email: email@example.com.
TOEFL test dates, locations, and costs:
IELTS test dates, locations, and costs:
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test: http://pearsonpte.com/test-takers/test/
Alternative measures of English proficiency
- Successful completion of the INTO CSU Academic English Program (conditional admission may be offered to AEP students studying at the advanced level).
- SAT Critical Reading score of 500 or higher.
- ACT English/Reading score of 21 or higher.
- A grade of 5 or better in the International Baccalaureate (IB) HL English course
- An IGCSE or A-level result of C or better on the English/First Language exam. Test results must be official and not predicted to be considered for direct admission.
- Completion of a U.S. diploma and/or two or more years of secondary transcripts reflecting the progress towards the U.S. diploma from a regionally accredited organization as defined by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Completion of at least two semesters of U.S. post-secondary/university course work in English, including college composition and speech with grades of C or better. Courses must have been taken at a regionally-accredited college/university to be considered for clear admission.
- Gaokao/NCEE English score of 105 or higher AND an online interview with an international admissions counselor.
TOEFL/PTE Academic/IELTS exemptions not listed above may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Undergraduate students who have been conditionally admitted but feel they have an acceptable alternative to our requirements should contact a member of the international admissions team to request the English Proficiency Appeal form. This process is intended for undergraduate students who have new English Proficiency credentials to present after they have been admitted. For example, if you are conditionally admitted in January and then have a proficiency qualifier in March, you can submit the appeal form. Once the proficiency information is confirmed, we will update your decision and status to clear the conditions of your admission.