If you’re a first-year student or transfer student with fewer than 15 post-high-school credits, you’ll be required to live in on-campus housing your first year at Colorado State University (and your residence hall will serve as your home base). It will be where you meet friends, make new connections, and grow as an individual.
Every residence hall at CSU provides these opportunities, but we want you to have the chance to mold your experience to meet your unique goals. That’s where our custom housing options come in.
What to consider when choosing the right hall
We’ve taken some extra steps to make sure you’re as comfortable as can be in your residence hall.
- High-speed internet, laundry, trash and recycling, and utilities like water and electricity are included in your housing cost.
- Your health and nutritional needs are important. That’s why all of our dining centers offer gluten-free, vegan , vegetarian, kosher, and international options.
- Live with whomever makes you most comfortable, regardless of gender, in our all-gender and open housing.
- Never forget your laundry again. With our online LaundryView program, you can check your laundry online and get a text alert when your laundry is done or when a machine opens up.
- Need a microwave or mini fridge? We offer rental options.
Not only can you select a preference of where you’d like to live, but you can also select a preference of the type of community to live in. That’s where our housing communities come in. We offer substance-free, transfer, and all-gender and open housing options, along with Residential Learning Communities (RLCs) that match bring together students with similar interests and academics.
RLCs allow you to surround yourself with students who have similar academic or personal interests. RLC emphasis areas include:
- Academics. From engineering to art, you can live and study alongside classmates with similar majors.
- Sustainability and the Outdoors. We offer a few communities for the environmentally-minded student: Outdoor Leadership and Natural Resources Sustainability.
- Global. Our Global Village is an intercultural community where our international and domestic students live and learn side-by-side.
The options you consider in room layout should reflect the level of community you desire. From a truly shared space to a more private experience, our layout options will fit whatever lifestyle suits you best.
We offer two primary layout options:
- Community-style. This option offers plenty of variations (up to and including private bedrooms); however, our community-style living spaces all have three things in common: a slightly larger room, a community bathroom centrally located on each floor, and a lower price point.
- Suite-style. These living spaces offer a more private experience. Most suites feature two double rooms that share a bathroom. Each room includes its own vanity/sink. Some suites offer a private bathroom.
Check out all of our layout options by browsing through the 3D floor plans.
A few things to consider as you select your top choices:
- You will select your top five room-type preferences on your housing application. The sooner you apply, the more likely you are to be assigned one of your top choices, but it’s not a guarantee.
- Your room choices should fall in line with your finances. While you research layouts, be sure to research the room rate that goes along with each.
- Suite-style layouts tend to fill up before community-style housing. If you prefer a suite, apply as soon as possible after the housing application opens. Learn about community-style living and its benefits here.
- Residential Learning Communities (RLCs) typically have designated locations. Be mindful of the room types and building locations for any RLC in which you may be interested. Note: During the 2020-2021 school year, students who are part of RLCs have the opportunity to be part of that community regardless of the building in which they are assigned to live.
Your right choice
As you’ve seen from the options, we want to make sure your first year with us is a positive and impactful one. We encourage you to take your time and explore all of the options by visiting our residence halls website.