Students work on large looms in an art classroom

Want to take a class or two at Colorado State University? We’re here to support your personal and professional growth.

Anyone is welcome to take classes at Colorado State University without being admitted to a degree-seeking program.

Find more information based on the semester you want to take classes, whether you want to be in person or online, or if there are particular courses you want to take. 

Who's a non-degree student?

Apply as a non-degree-seeking student if you are not currently working to receive a degree from CSU.

Fall and spring on-campus classes

GUEST (Granting University Enrollment for a Specific Term) is our non-degree registration option for individuals who wish to take up to two classes (six credits) on campus during a fall or spring semester without applying for admission as a degree-seeking or certificate-seeking student. GUEST participants register for classes on a space-available basis at the start of the academic term.

Students from Aims Community College can apply for GUEST as part of the Aims Exchange Program.


Summer Session (“Summer-Only registration”) has an open-enrollment policy, accessible to degree-seeking and non-degree students alike. Credits earned in Summer Session may count toward a Colorado State degree after regular admission is granted and are transferable to other colleges and universities. Summer Session offers flexibility for balancing learning with other summer plans through three 4-week terms, two 8-week terms and a 12-week term. Additional terms of varying length include field classes, internships and weekend classes. Summer Session supports focused study while providing the opportunity to complete a difficult course, fulfill a prerequisite, concentrate on one or two classes, or enroll in a special-topic course.

Individuals interested in Summer-Only registration are encouraged to apply by March 1 for first access to course registration, which opens the third week in March. Applications can be submitted year-round; application processing begins February 15.

Fall or spring online classes

CSU Online offers a variety of benefits to non-degree students:

  • Choose online, distance, or off-campus courses
  • Take courses for academic credit and/or professional development
  • Select from a variety of subject areas, including sustainability, agriculture, engineering, and human resources
  • Register through CSU Online without being required to complete an admission or GUEST application

In addition, there are no credit limits, and CSU Online registration occurs year-round, well in advance of the beginning of the term. To find out more, explore online and off-campus courses offered through CSU Online.

Students wishing to take on campus AND online courses as a non-degree student must use the GUEST or Summer-Only application.

Students wishing to enroll in a CSU Online degree completion program must apply for admission and be formally admitted to CSU.

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent enrollment offers Poudre School District students the opportunity to take designated CSU courses as part of their high school curriculum. Courses approved by the district are paid for by the district; additional courses can be taken outside the approved list at student expense. Interested students are advised to confirm their interest the semester before they wish to take courses at CSU in order to meet key deadlines.

High school students who are not in Poudre School District and wish to take CSU courses can consider any of our other non-degree options, though we strongly encourage students to prioritize concurrent enrollment offerings in their own communities.

Intensive English

Those who have basic English skills but need more English instruction and improvement to be successful in a U.S. higher education setting should consider the Intensive English Program. This accredited IEP program is an intensive, immersive language experience that is either one, two, or three semesters long, based on the needs of each individual student. To learn more and apply, please contact the Programs for Learning Academic and Community English (PLACE).