How to create your university email account (hint: create your NetID)
When you create your NetID to check your application status online, you also establish your university email account, which is an Office365 account. Your email address is formatted automatically using your first name and last name: firstname.lastname@example.org (e.g., Cam.Ram@colostate.edu). This address is also referred to as your “alias” and is the address you supply when someone wants to email you.
Your university account stays with you throughout your CSU experience.
Admissions will use only the email address you supplied on your application. Once you’re admitted, however, other university offices will use your university email account for communications such as:
- Academic invitations and announcements
- Financial aid instructions and status updates
- Housing assignments
- Orientation and registration information
- Transfer evaluation notifications
You are responsible for information sent to your university email account. Check your email regularly (at least once a week) after you’ve been admitted.
You also have the option to create a university Google account, but this is not required, nor will the university use it to communicate with you.
How to log in to your university email account
- Go to the Office365 login page: portal.office.com
- In the sign-in box, enter your NetID email@example.com as your username. For example, if your name is Cam T Ram and your ename is “camram,” your O365 username is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enter your NetID password
- Once logged in, click on “Outlook”
Note that there can be a delay of up to two hours between when you create your NetID and when your email account is ready to use.